Wam01's 2 TC Opening

iNcog

Magudai
Concept: A Mongol opening focused on a quick 2nd Town Center and Improved Wheelbarrow.

Source: iNcog YouTube
Played by: iNcog (inspired by Wam01)

Age 1

1. Begin with 5 villagers on gold, send the Ger to that gold mine. 6th villager builds an Ovoo and then transitions to gathering Sheep. Place the starting TC on a wood line.
2. Rally one villager to wood, then rally to sheep. Current allocation should be 5 gold, 1 wood, 1 sheep with TC rally to sheep. Do NOT train a scout, you will idle your TC if you do so.
3. Once you have 350 gold, transition those villagers from Gold to Sheep. Move the Ger to Ovoo influence.
4. Once you have 200 stone, research improved Wheelbarrow.
5. Once you have 400 food, click up to age.

Age Up with 2 villagers on Deer Stones - You should have 4 villagers on food and all else on wood (rally to wood).

6. During transition, aim to gather 900 wood and age up at the same time. You may need to add a villager to Deer Stones to do this, but you shouldn’t have to. It depends on the quality of your TC placement and map spawn.
7. Your Khan should be scouting the map and discovering resources. It is a very good idea to scout your opponent at this point in order to decide your next move.

Age 2

1. As soon as you have 900 wood, transition 6 to 8 villagers from wood to a TC, preferably on a hunt (hunt and woodline would be ideal). Transition 4 wood villagers to food to start a small food bank (for double villager production)

2. Depending on what military building your opponent opened with, decide on which military building to open with yourself (Spears, Horsemen or Archers). You have stone left over for double unit production, which is what I recommend. Survival Techniques, Horticulture, Specialized Pick and Double Broadaxe are all excellent investments at that point and will synergize with your wheelbarrow very nicely.

3a. If your opponent is playing greedy, then I would transition villagers mostly to food and gold in order to get a free Castle Age in.
3b. For feudal play, transition 4 to 5 villagers to gold, then split up your remaining villagers equally between food and wood. Rally starting TC to wood, rally 2nd TC to your hunt. After you get your tier 1 eco upgrades, ensure you get a Blacksmith and start getting unit upgrades in as well.

You will be playing in reaction to your opponent as soon as your 2nd TC goes up. This is a fairly greedy opening and can absolutely be punished if your opponent is playing aggression. In which case it can be nice to place your 2nd TC behind your starting TC and then move out later. If you need to defend heavy aggression, skip your economic upgrades and put up a tower instead. Your biggest liability will be your Ovoo since it can be fairly exposed. Good scouting helps a lot. This guide is great but your best bet is to have actual experience with this strategy.

My personal advice is to play 10 games with it. Win or lose, you want to get a feel for what can and can't be done with this build. Feel free to ask questions in this thread!

kusch_AOE

Longbow
What's the rational behind Improved Wheelbarrow?
I don't have any hard data for the current patch but aren't the improved eco upgrades generally a horrible deal with Improved Wheelbarrow actually being one of the worst?
Improved Double Broadax is less than 1.5 times as good as Double Broadax.
And Improved Wheelbarrow is hardly 1.33 times as good as Wheelbarrow.

Is it because there isn't really anything else to spend the stone on at that point in time?

iNcog

Magudai
What's the rational behind Improved Wheelbarrow?
I don't have any hard data for the current patch but aren't the improved eco upgrades generally a horrible deal with Improved Wheelbarrow actually being one of the worst?
Improved Double Broadax is less than 1.5 times as good as Double Broadax.
And Improved Wheelbarrow is hardly 1.33 times as good as Wheelbarrow.

Is it because there isn't really anything else to spend the stone on at that point in time?
So, you're right, I'm still not entirely sure if it's actually legitimately "worth it" to be researching improved wheelbarrow, especially over normal wheelbarrow. There is still, however, some reasoning behind it.
Despite the fact that improved wheelbarrow is perhaps not the best investment on paper, it's still a way to invest into your economy. So if we get X value out of researching wheelbarrow and 0.9*X value out of improved wheelbarrow (so, less value), we're still overall spending *more* resources into our economy. I also think that Deer Stones helps get a bit more value of wheelbarrow/improved wheelbarrow. I had this discussion with mitoe in AoE3. Some investments may be less value than other investments, but if as long as you're investing more into your economy, you eventually come out ahead.

I feel like mongol improved upgrades would be broken if you actually got x2 the amount of value out of the upgrade.

In simpler terms, I want to invest my early stone into economy more so than I want to invest into towers or double production. Improved Wheelbarrow is merely my avenue of investment. You bring up a good point and I do think it could be worth examining spending stone on other improved economic upgrades.

Class is still out on this one but there is definitely a reasoning behind investing 200 stone into advanced wheelbarrow. Would love to see some hard numbers on this one.

Edit: also Wam01 didn't like this build and didn't do improved wheelbarrow. I'm the one who went with that upgrade. xP